Thursday, January 6, 2011

No-sew Apron from Shortalls


We got CJ(my 3 yr old daughter) a play kitchen during Thanksgiving sale last year(2009). It has been one of her favorite toy! She not only plays pretend cooking, She also likes to take orders and serves us the food. I realized she needed an apron when she wanted to wear my apron. I promised her I will make one of her size. Finally after a long wait(almost a year) I made her an apron. In an effort to reuse and recycle some of her outgrown dresses, I refashioned her shortall to an apron.


Materials Used:
Outgrown Shortalls/Outgrown Pinafore
Permanent Fabric glue(I used Aleene's Fabric Fusion Permanent Adhesive)
Scissors

Steps Overview:

Front view of the Shortalls

Back view of the Shortalls

In the front I kept the fasteners as they were. On the backside of the shorall I cut a V-shape at the joining place of the fasteners as shown below.



I cut the side seams as shown below so that I will get the front side and the back side of the Shortalls separate

I gave the below simple version to my daughter. The expression on her face showed it was too boring. Needed some extra trim.

So I added a frill and few scraps of fabric from an old dress here and there. For the pockets I used the curved fabric that comes near the arm pits(shown below)

I used Aleene's Fabric Fusion Permanent Adhesive to glue the fabrics and frill to the apron.

Made a flowery fabric belt to go with her apron.

I liked the way it turned out. CJ was also super excited when she saw the frilly, flowery apron. She smiled and said this one is perfect for me, just the way I want.
what else does a mother want:-)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Esther, Love your projects... will love to try these out some day... though I am hopeless when it comes to stitching...!! do refer makeitandloveit.blogspot.com ... The blog has similar lovely ideas ...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute idea!! Now I wish I had kid shortalls to convert :) Thanks for your comment over at You Seriously Made that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a super tutorial! Just darling. Thanks for sharing it. I know the work that goes into a tutorial! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial. What a great use of all shortalls. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joined the party over at "To Sew With Love" and saw your link there...WOW! What a clever, creative, and beautifully done re-purpose of shortalls! I love all your details, and am feeling inspired to make one for my little niece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Esther, ingenious! Thanks for linking up to our carnival
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally dig this repurposing project! lovely apron! thanks for linking up at our crafty saturday party! we will be featuring your project tomorrow! can't wait what you have for next week!

    ReplyDelete